Synopses & Reviews
"The Enterprise exam is tough — 1 pass for each 4.3 failures. With Alan Carter's book, I passed on my first try. Thank you, Alan!" —Daniel Mulhaney, CNE and MCSE candidate
Learn directly from a Microsoft-certified expert what you need to know to pass exams 70-67, 70-68, and 70-73, and practice, practice, practice...
TAKE THE MCSE CHALLENGE
You plan to install Windows NT Workstation and Microsoft Office Professional on 300 identical computers. You want to automate the installation process as much as possible. What should you do to accomplish this?
For a complete answer, see Chapter 5, Server-Based Deployment, and refer to the "Automating Setup of Windows NT" section in the chapter-opening cross-reference.
GIVE YOURSELF THE ULTIMATE COMPETITIVE EDGE
Don't get bogged down studying the wrong information
Designed exclusively for the MCSE exam, Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide covers every exam objective without losing track of the overall context you need to master Windows NT. The detailed table of contents, chapter-opening cross-references, and end-of-chapter summaries, labs, and exercises point you directly to the exact information you need to pass the three Windows NT exam.
Lear directly from the experts
Benefit from the real-world experience, product knowledge, and training expertise of Alan Carter — a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Microsoft Certified Trainer who knows NT inside out and has helped hundreds of students attain their certification goals.
Practice, Practice, Practice
The MCSE exams assess more than what you know — they test how well you can apply what you know. Our two-tiered review approach brings you the real-world practice you need for success.
EXCLUSIVE! The Microsoft Professional's Key Tools for Success
- Instant Assessment: true/false and short answer questions to reinforce your basic understanding of the exam objectives
- Critical Thinking Labs: multiple-step exercises with questions that mirror the performance-based style of the exams to assess your practical skills.
- Validate! Technical Certification Preparation — dozens of sample questions for the Windows NT Server and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 exams
- Microsoft Training and Certification Offline with assessment tests
- Micro House Technical Library Sampler
- Diskeeper Lite
- Internet Explorer 3.01
- Searchable electronic version of the book
- Selections from MCSE Career Microsoft! your guide to a successful MCSE career
Three required Windows NT 4 courses needed to pass the MCSE certification are covered in this comprehensive resource. The book features an electronic testing component with sample tests linked to course objectives--worded similarly to real certification exams. The CD-ROM contains Microsoft's Certification Road Map to help students navigate their course curriculum.
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineers are just as hot in the information technology world as Microsoft's Windows NT operating system. In the US alone today, there are 200,000 open IT jobs, and researchers expect demand to grow to over 500,000 within the next three years. Needless to say, becoming an MCSE in Windows NT is a heck of a great career move.
Now Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide puts you on the fast track toward certification by covering everything you need to know to pass these three required MCSE exams:
Exam Number Exam Title
* 70-73 Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
* 70-67 Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
* 70-68 Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 in the Enterprise
Even if you're not planning to take the MCSE exams, in Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide you'll find critical information to use on the job, including
* Deploying, installing, and configuring Windows NT -- both Workstation and Server
* Managing resources -- from administering user and group accounts to optimizing Windows NT Server Directory Services
* Setting up effective network connectivity using TCP/IP and other protocols, as well as maintaining heterogeneous Windows NT and Novell NetWare networks, instituting remote access capabilities, and accommodating Mac OS platforms
* Optimizing applications to run under Windows NT
* Monitoring, evaluating, and optimizing Windows NT networks using tools such as Performance Monitor and Network Monitor
* Troubleshooting workstation and network problems when they arise
Plus, Windows NT 4.0 MCSE Study Guide includes an in-depth collection of study and test-preparation resources, as well as a bonus CD-ROM containing a searchable electronic version of the book in Adobe Acrobat portable document format, excerpts from MCSE Career Microsoft!, and other software and reference material essential for success as a Microsoft Windows NT certified professional.
Covers: Exams 070-058, 070-073, 070-067 and 070-068
Covers: Exams 070-058, 070-073, 070-067 and 070-068
Selections from "MCSE Career Microsoft!" your guide to a successful MCSE career
About the Author
Alan R. Carter, MCSE and MCT, has been teaching Microsoft Official Curriculum and other networking courses across the country for over seven years. He also serves as a Microsoft consultant for the development of new courses and educational materials. Carter is an MCSE, MCT, CNP, Master CNE, and CNI.
Table of Contents
Value of Microsoft Certification Statement.
Foreword to the MCSE Series.
Part I: Overview.
Chapter 1: Overview of Windows NT Workstation and Windows NT Server.
Part II: Installation and Configuration.
Chapter 2: Installing Windows NT Workstation and Windows NT Server.
Chapter 3: Configuring Disks.
Chapter 4: Using Control Panel.
Chapter 5: Server-Based Deployment.
Chapter 6: Managing Printing.
Chapter 7: Managing User and Group Accounts.
Chapter 8: Managing Account Policy, User Rights, and Auditing.
Chapter 9: Managing User Profiles and System Policy.
Chapter 10: Managing Windows NT Directory Services.
Chapter 11: Optimizing Windows NT Server Directory Services.
Chapter 12: Sharing and Securing File Systems.
Chapter 13: Accessing Resources on the Network.
Chapter 14: Using Windows NT Server Tools.
Chapter 15: Backing Up and Restoring Data.
Part IV: Connectivity.
Chapter 16: Networking Using TCP/IP.
Chapter 17: Coexistence With NetWare.
Chapter 18: Migrating to Windows NT from NetWare.
Chapter 19: Installing and Configuring Remote Access Service (RAS).
Chapter 20: Macintosh Connectivity.
Part V: Running Applications.
Chapter 21: Running Applications on Windows NT.
Part VI: Monitoring and Optimization.
Chapter 22: Using Performance Monitor.
Chapter 23: Using Network Monitor.
Chapter 24: Capacity Planning.
Chapter 25: Performance Optimization.
Part VII: Troubleshooting.
Chapter 26: The Troubleshooting Process.
Chapter 27: Advanced Troubleshooting Topics.
Part VIII: Resources.
Appendix A: Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Exam Objectives.
Appendix B: Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Exam Objectives.
Appendix C: Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 in the Enterprise Exam Objectives.
Appendix D: Answers to Instant Assessment Questions, Review Activities, and Hands-on Labs.
Appendix E: Mini-Lab Manual.
Appendix F: Exam Preparation Tips.
Appendix G: Windows NT Planning Forms.
Appendix H: What's on the CD-ROM?
CD-ROM Installation Instructions.