Synopses & Reviews
Learn the essentials of wireless networking
Configure, manage, and secure wireless networks using the step-by-step details in this practical resource. Wireless Network Administration: A Beginner's Guide shows you how to work with the latest wireless networking standards, including the 802.11x family, on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. The book covers wireless network planning, design, hardware, services, protocols, device configuration, security, troubleshooting, and more. This hands-on guide will get you started administering wireless networks in no time.
- Get details on regulatory and technical organizations
- Learn about different wireless standards and the basics of RF technologies
- Understand and determine client-side hardware requirements, including chipsets and various wireless interfaces
- Select infrastructure-side wireless hardware, such as antennas, wireless access points (WAPs), residential gateways, switches/controllers, routers, and bridges
- Learn about WLANs, WWANs, WMANs, and WPANs
- Work with standard wireless network protocols--TCP/IP (IPv4 and IPv6)
- Understand DNS, DHCP, and other supporting infrastructure services
- Secure wireless networks using cryptography
- Configure infrastructure devices, including a wireless access point device and wireless network switches and controllers
- Configure and manage wireless Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux clients
- Plan, design, survey, deploy, and troubleshoot your wireless network
Configure, manage, and secure wireless and mobile networks
Wireless Network Administration: A Beginner's Guide teaches you how to work with the latest wireless networking technologies, including WiFi, 802.11, 802.11n, 802.15.4/Zigbee, and Bluetooth Personal Area Networks. The book covers hardware, topologies, network design, infrastructure, administration, security, troubleshooting, tuning, and monitoring.
Wireless Network Administration: A Beginner's Guide:
- Includes both U.S. CDMA and European GSM standards
- Covers Linux, Windows, and Mac platforms
- Provides diagnostic techniques for troubleshooting
- Contains practical, hands-on implementation examples
Learn the fundamentals of wireless networking:
Uses, Benefits, and Drawbacks of Wireless; Standards and Standards Bodies; Wave Theory and Radio Concepts; Client Side Devices; Infrastructure Side Devices; Chipsets; Design Overview; Wireless Topologies; Importance of Backend Infrastructure; Standard Infrastructure Services and Protocols; Optional Infrastructure Services and Protocols; Administering Users; Windows; MACs; Linux; Wireless Security Vulnerabilities; Common Wireless Security Attacks and Solutions; Wireless LAN Troubleshooting, Tuning and Monitoring; Spectrum Analyzers; WIDS and IDS
About the Author
Wale Soyinka is an IT systems/network/security consultant with many years of experience in the field. He helps businesses secure and integrate wireless networks in the enterprise. Wale is the author of the Fourth and Fifth Editions of Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide and other books.
Table of Contents
Part I: Overview
; Chapter 1.
Uses, Benefits, and Drawbacks of Wireless; Chapter 2.
Standards and Standards Bodies; Chapter 3.
Wave Theory and Radio Concepts; Part II: Hardware
; Chapter 4.
Client Side Devices; Chapter 5.
Infrastructure Side Devices; Chapter 6.
Chipsets; Part III: Wireless Network Topologies and Design
; Chapter 7.
Design Overview; Chapter 8.
Wireless Topologies; Part IV: Wireless Infrastructure Backend
; Chapter 9.
Importance of Backend Infrastructure; Chapter 10.
Standard Infrastructure Services and Protocols; Chapter 11.
Optional Infrastructure Services and Protocols; Part V: Administering Users
; Chapter 12.
Windows; Chapter 13.
MACs; Chapter 14.
Linux; Part VI: Security
; Chapter 15.
Wireless Security Vulnerabilities; Chapter 16.
Common Wireless Security Attacks and Solutions; Part VII: Wireless LAN Trouble Shooting, Tuning and Monitoring
; Chapter 17.
Spectrum Analyzers; Chapter 18.
WIDS and IDS