Synopses & Reviews
With a combined process and product approach to academic writing, this Second Edition (formerly titled "Youre in Charge!") helps students progress from the basics of paragraph writing to the development of full-length essays. The texts new models and exercises are centered around three main themes milestones, ecology, and relationships to help students generate content and build vocabulary for their writing.
"Writing to Communicate" also features: New prewriting exercises. Carefully selected topics, vocabulary, and models. Group assignments, graphic organizers, paragraph checklists, and peer help worksheets. Sections on the mechanics of writing. Appendices on writing under time pressure, the university application essay, paragraph formatting on a computer, punctuation, and common linking words. Contents Introduction to Academic Writing Types of Paragraphs Organization of Paragraphs Coherence and Cohesion Unity and Completeness From Paragraph to Essay The Thesis Statement The Introductory Paragraph The Concluding Paragraph Body Paragraphs Process Classification Cause and Effect Comparison and Contrast
With a combined process and product approach, Writing to Communicate puts students on a fast track to clear and effective academic writing.
Writing to Communicate 2 guides students from writing simple paragraphs to composing well-organized essays in key rhetorical models.
- Theme-based chapters encourage students to explore ideas.
- Structure and Mechanics sections develop accuracy.
- New! Vocabulary Builder sections provide useful language for writing.
- Abundant and clear models give students solid support.
- Pair and group assignments promote collaborative learning.
- Graphic organizers, paragraph checklists, and peer-help worksheets enrich the writing process.
- New! Bring It All Together review sections provide opportunities for consolidation and assessment.