Synopses & Reviews
Welcome to the world of yoga.
Yoga Journal's Yoga Basics offers the first truly comprehensive introduction to the practice of this popular ancient healing art. Produced by a teacher of yoga for over 25 years and the editors of Yoga Journal, it offers all the inspiration and instruction you'll need to develop your own at-home yoga practice. Beginning with an exploration of the roots of yoga, the book goes on to describe a variety of hatha yoga styles-- Iyengar, Ashtanga, Kundalini, and others-- so you can choose the method that's appropriate for you. Featuring easy-to-follow instructions and 140 black-and-white photographs to illustrate the postures, Yoga Basics provides a thorough understanding not only of the mechanics of technique but of all the important elements that make yoga so much more than a fitness regime. In this unique book you'll find:
* Tips on the use of the breath in yoga practice and breath awareness exercises
* Guidelines for regular practice, including health and safety considerations
* Dozens of illustrated postures-- standing, seated, supine, and prone-- with their benefits described
* Sample Yoga routines that can be done in as little as 15 minutes per day
* Instruction on the practice and power of meditation
About the Author
The world-renowned, award-winning Yoga Journal
is the premier yoga publication in this country and has produced a number of best-selling videos on yoga practice. Mara Carrico
has more than a quarter century of experience teaching dance, movement therapy, and yoga and is the choreographer of Jane Fonda's Yoga Exercise Workout
video. She writes frequently on the subject of yoga and Eastern disciplines and conducts workshops around the world.