Synopses & Reviews
A New York Times-bestselling author's timely guide to happiness in adversity
When the world is upside down and the future uncertain, is it possible to find happiness? Happiness expert Tal Ben-Shahar unequivocally says yes In Happier, No Matter What., he gives readers a toolbox for finding hope and purpose--the SPIRE method. This nuanced approach has five key realms:
- Spiritual: Are we living mindfully?
- Physical: Do we take care of our bodies?
- Intellectual: Are we challenged and curious?
- Relational: Do we nurture connections that nurture us?
- Emotional: Are our feelings both honored and balanced?
By assessing each area, we gain insight into our "baseline happiness"--and about how to build the resilience necessary to weather all of life's ups and downs, no matter what.
Even when everything is going wrong, the science of happiness can help you
Pioneering positive psychologist and New York Times-bestselling author Tal Ben-Shahar shows us how in Happier, No Matter What.
Ben-Shahar busts the all-too-common ideas that success brings happiness and that we can seek happiness itself. When hard times thwart our success and steal our joy, these ideas actually invite despair by leaving us with nothing to do.
But we can do something: We can climb the SPIRE--Ben-Shahar's five-step staircase to hope and purpose.
- Spiritual: I am experiencing meaning.
- Physical: My body's needs are met.
- Intellectual: I am learning.
- Relational: My friends support me.
- Emotional: I am allowed to feel.
By truly living these five elements of well-being, we build the resilience to carry us through anything--from a personal loss to a global pandemic. Ben-Shahar's all-new SPIRE method shows us the way to becoming "whole again"--and when we're whole, we invite happiness in.