Synopses & Reviews
You can count on Rick Steves to tell you what you really need to know when traveling in Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia.
With this guide, you'll set sail to Europe's most prosperous corner: a smorgasbord of Viking ships, deep green fjords, stave churches, brooding castles, and colorful farmhouses. Explore the sleek, modern capital cities of Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, and Tallinn. Cruise through Stockholm's scenic archipelago, and sample the Baltic charms of Tallinn. Delve deep into Norway's scenic Sognefjord and bike through the idyllic Danish countryside on the castaway island of AEro. And take some time out from sightseeing to get your blood pumping in a steamy Finnish sauna.
Rick's candid, humorous advice will guide you to good-value hotels and restaurants. He'll help you plan where to go and what to see, depending on the length of your trip. You'll get up-to-date recommendations on what's worth your time and money. More than just reviews and directions, a Rick Steves guidebook is a tour guide in your pocket.
Explore Europe's most prosperous corner: a smorgasbord of Viking ships, brooding castles, and emerald fjords. With Rick Steves on your side, Scandinavia can be yours
Inside Rick Steves Scandinavia you'll find:
Make the most of every day and every dollar with Rick Steves Scandinavia.
- Comprehensive coverage for spending a week or more exploring Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia
- Rick's strategic advice on how to get the most out of your time and money, with rankings of his must-see favorites
- Top sights and hidden gems, from the Tivoli Gardens, the Viking Ship Museum, and Hans Christian Andersen's house, to prehistoric monoliths and sleepy fjord villages
- How to connect with local culture: Take a dip in the fjords on a summer day, bask in the hygge of a cozy cabin caf?, grab a picnic of Nordic cheese and smoked fish from a farmers market, and chat with friendly locals over a glass of avkvavit
- Beat the crowds, skip the lines, and avoid tourist traps with Rick's candid, humorous insight
- The best places to eat, sleep, and relax with a cup of coffee
- Self-guided walking tours of lively neighborhoods and incredible museums
- Detailed maps for exploring on the go
- Useful resources including a packing list, phrase books for Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, and Estonian, a historical overview, and recommended reading
- Over 400 bible-thin pages include everything worth seeing without weighing you down
- Complete, up-to-date information on Copenhagen, Roskilde, ?ro, Odense, Justland, Oslo, Fl?m, Aurland, undredal, Sognejord, Gudbrandsdal Valley, the Jotunheimen Mountains, Bergen, Stavanger, The Setesdal Valley, Kristiansand, Stockholm, Sigtuna, Uppsala, Vaxholm, Grinda, Svarts?, Sandhamn, V?xj?, Glass Country, Kalmar, ?land, Helsinki, Tallinn, and more
Cruising Scandinavia instead? Try Rick Steves Scandinavian and Northern European Cruise Ports.