Synopses & Reviews
Mystical, timeless, and full of adventure: embark on the trip of a lifetime to the jewel of Peru with Moon Machu Picchu. Inside you'll find:
With Moon Machu Picchu's practical advice and insider know-how, you can forge your own path.
- Strategic trekking guides, including two to four days on the Inca Trail, five days on the Salcantay, and an Inca Jungle Trail itinerary, plus focused coverage of Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Lima
- Unique experiences beyond the beaten path: Explore seldom-seen ruins like the Ollantaytambo Temple and visit remote Quechua-speaking villages. Go horseback riding on a caballo de paso in the Sacred Valley, mountain biking to the hilltop fortress of Sacsayhuam n, or set up camp on the riverbank after a day of rafting on the R o Apur mac. Sample coca tea and authentic local delicacies, or shop for handmade Peruvian weavings, pottery, and jewelry
- Essential planning information on agencies, tour guides, and porters, food and accommodations, packing suggestions, finding the best airfares, and getting around by bus, train, taxi, car, or motorcycle rental
- How to visit Machu Picchu respectfully, with tips on sustainability and helping the local economy, minimizing your impact, and avoiding over-tourism, with insight from Lima local Ryan Dub
- A guide to hazards, precautions, and gear, including how to avoid altitude sickness
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout, plus a convenient foldout map
- Thorough background information on the landscape, wildlife, plants, culture, history, and local customs
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, visa information, volunteer and study opportunities, and tips for seniors, families with children, visitors with disabilities, women traveling alone, and LGBTQ+ travelers
Exploring the rest of the country? Try Moon Peru. Doing a tour of South America? Try Moon Colombia or Moon Patagonia.