Synopses & Reviews
TODAY’S ADVANCED GUIDE TO CAPITALIZING ON ANALYTICS:
THE START-TO-FINISH RESOURCE FOR BOTH STUDENTS AND PRACTITIONERS
- Shows how to create analytics roadmaps that maximize topline revenue and shareholder value
- Demonstrates cutting-edge strategies, techniques, and cases, from identifying opportunities to choosing algorithms
- Reflects the experience of two pioneering analytics/ Big Data experts with dozens of enterprise implementations
- Essential for advanced students and practitioners using any platform or toolset
In this comprehensive, cutting-edge guide, two of the field’s most experienced implementers show you how to systematically optimize the business value of analytics.
Michele Chambers and Thomas W. Dinsmore show how to build a complete analytics roadmap you can successfully execute on: one that fully reflects your business strategies, culture, customers, resources, and competitive environment. They present important new applications and case studies, revealing how sophisticated organizations are increasing short- and long-term value across five key areas: strategic, managerial, operational, scientific, and customer-facing analytics.
Chambers and Dinsmore guide you in linking analytics strategy to specific tactics and techniques, thoroughly informing your choices of tools, algorithms, and platforms. They provide valuable new insights into the impact of Big Data on predictive analytics, and demystify important new technologies such as Apache Spark for Hadoop.
Drawing on their unsurpassed enterprise experience, they also address make-or-break management issues—including how to organize effective analytics teams, find outstanding data scientists, and retain them.
This is today’s definitive guide to analytics implementation for MBA and university-level business students and sophisticated practitioners. Its cutting-edge coverage helps you systematically “jump the gap” between your current analytical capabilities and where you need to be, so you can use analytics to efficiently grow revenue, profitability, and market share.
Michele Chambers and Thomas W. Dinsmore help you customize a complete roadmap for implementing analytics that supports your corporate strategies, aligns with your culture, and serves your customer and stakeholder communities.
Drawing on work with dozens of enterprises, they provide advanced examples and high-value use cases from multiple industries, and help you systematically identify and deliver on your best opportunities. They address both high-level strategies and specific techniques: everything from identifying game-changing applications to assessing the tradeoffs of each algorithmic approach.
This advanced text will serve the needs of students and faculty studying cutting-edge analytics techniques, as well as experienced analytics leaders and professionals, data scientists, business strategists, and line-of-business executives.
Execute on Today’s 9 Core Principles of Analytics Success
- Build and continuously evolve analytics for high-value business impact
- Focus on the last mile: deploy into production to gain repeatable, ongoing value
- Leverage Kaizen to start small and build upon success
- Accelerate learning and execution: do, learn, adapt, repeat
- Differentiate your analytics to produce new results
- Embed analytics throughout your key business processes
- Establish a modern architecture that drives out cost
- Maximize and groom analytics talent
- Capitalize on consumerization, leveraging new choices to innovate
Advanced Analytics Methodologies is today's definitive guide to analytics implementation for MBA and university-level business students and sophisticated practitioners. Its expanded, cutting-edge coverage helps readers systematically "jump the gap" between their organization's current analytical capabilities and where they need to be.
Step by step, Michele Chambers and Thomas Dinsmore help readers customize a complete roadmap for implementing analytics that supports unique corporate strategies, aligns with specific corporate cultures, and serves unique customer and stakeholder communities. Drawing on work with dozens of leading enterprises, Michele Chambers and Thomas Dinsmore provide advanced applications and examples not available elsewhere, describe high-value applications from many industries, and help you systematically identify and deliver on your company's best opportunities. They show how to:
- Go beyond the Analytics Maturity Model: power your unique business strategy with an equally focused analytics strategy
- Link key business objectives with core characteristics of your organization, value chain, and stakeholders
- Take advantage of game changing opportunities before competitors do
- Effectively integrate the managerial and operational aspects of analytics
- Measure performance with dashboards, scorecards, visualization, simulation, and more
- Prioritize and score prospective analytics projects
- Identify "Quick Wins" you can implement while you're planning for the long-term
- Build an effective Analytic Program Office to make your roadmap persistent
- Update and revise your roadmap for new needs and technologies
This advanced text will serve the needs of students and faculty studying cutting-edge analytics techniques, as well as experienced analytics leaders and professionals including Chief Analytics Officers; Chief Data Officers; Chief Scientists; Chief Marketing Officers; Chief Risk Officers; Chief Strategy Officers; VPs of Analytics or Big Data; data scientists; business strategists; and many line-of-business executives.
About the Author
MICHELE CHAMBERS (Charlotte, NC), an entrepreneurial executive with 25 years of technology experience, serves as Chief Strategy Officer at Revolution Analytics, which delivers a commercial, enterprise ready R platform for high performance analytics. There, she is responsible for corporate strategy, product management and product marketing. She was formerly General Manager & Vice President of Big Data Analytics at IBM, where she successfully launched several lines of businesses, including the Advanced Analytic Solutions at Netezza that drove $80M in revenue in just six months. The co-author of Big Data Big Analytics, she holds an MBA from Duke.
THOMAS DINSMORE (Newton, MA) is Director of Product Management at Revolution Analytics. Until recently, he served as Analytics Solution Architect on the IBM Big Data Advanced Analytic Solutions team. Dinsmore has 25+ years of experience in predictive analytics, and has led or contributed to pioneering analytic solutions for organizations including AT&T, Banco Santander, Citbank, Dell, J.C.Penney, Monsanto, Morgan Stanley, Office Depot, Sony, Staples, United Health Group, UBS and Vodafone.
Table of Contents
1. Analytics Can Supercharge Your Business Strategy
2. A Glimpse into the Analytics Era
3. The Analytics Era
4. The Analytics Maturity Model is Dead
5. Analytic Applications
6. Analytic Tools and Methods
7. Analytic Enablers
9. Enumerate Business Activities
10. Identify Analytic Opportunities
11. Detail Analytic Projects
12. Summarize Analytic Projects
13. Prioritize Analytic Projects
14. Quick Wins
15. The Analytic Program Office
16. Measuring Success
17. Updating and Revising the Roadmap
18. Conclusion The definitive, university-level guide to advanced business analytics methodologies for every sophisticated student, researcher, and practitioner