Synopses & Reviews
The first collection of cases on “big data” analytics for supply chain, operations research, and operations management, this reference puts readers in the position of the analytics professional and decision-maker. Perfect for students, practitioners, and certification candidates in SCM, OM, and OR, these short, focused, to-the-point case studies illustrate the entire decision-making process. They provide realistic opportunities to perform analyses, interpret output, and recommend an optimal course of action. Contributed by leading “big data” experts, the cases in The Applied Business Analytics Casebook covers:
- Forecasting and statistical analysis: time series forecasting models, regression models, data visualization, and hypothesis testing
- Optimization and simulation: linear, integer, and nonlinear programming; Monte Carlo simulation and risk analysis; and stochastic optimization
- Decision analysis: decision making under uncertainty; expected value of perfect information; decision trees; game theory models; AHP; and multi-criteria decision making
- Advanced business analytics: data warehousing/mining; text mining; neural networks; financial analytics; CRM analytics; and revenue management models
The first complete casebook on business analytics for supply chain and operations management
- Focused, up-to-date cases put you in the roles of analyst and decision-maker
- Covers forecasting/statistical analysis, optimization/simulation, decision analysis, and data analysis/mining
- Ideal for practitioners, graduate students, and undergraduates in SCM, OM, and OR
This unique casebook in analytics for supply chain management places you in the role of decision-maker, exposes you to the entire decision-making process, and provides opportunities to perform analyses, interpret output, and recommend the best course of action.
Contributed by leading experts in “big data” for supply chain and operations management, these cases are short, concise, and to the point. You'll identify and test competing hypotheses; perform risk analyses; optimize decision-making in the face of uncertainty; and improve key processes such as routing and scheduling.
About the Author
Matthew J. Drake, Ph.D., CFPIM, is an Associate Professor of Supply Chain Management and the Director of International Business Programs in the Palumbo-Donahue School of Business at Duquesne University. Dr. Drake primarily teaches analytical courses in the Supply Chain Management program. He holds a B.S. in Business Administration from Duquesne University and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. His first book, Global Supply Chain Management, was published by Business Expert Press in 2012. Dr. Drake’s research has been published in a number of leading journals including Naval Research Logistics, the European Journal of Operational Research, Omega, the International Journal of Production Economics, OR Spectrum, the Journal of Business Ethics, and Science and Engineering Ethics. Several of his previous cases and teaching materials have been published in INFORMS Transactions on Education and Spreadsheets in Education.
Dr. Drake lives in suburban Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with his wife, Nicole; his daughter, Noelle; and his dog, Bismarck.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Forecasting and Statistical Analysis
1. Forecasting Sales at Ska Brewing Company
2. Maintaining Financial Success and Expanding into Other Markets at FeedMyPet.com
3. Forecasting Offertory Revenue at St. Elizabeth Seton Catholic Church
4. Pizza Station
Part 2: Optimization and Simulation
5. Inventory Management at Squirrel Hill Cosmetics
6. Safety Stock Planning for a Hong Kong Fashion Retailer
7. Network Design at Commonwealth Pipeline Company
8. Publish or Perish: Scheduling Challenges in the Publishing Industry
Part 3: Decision Analysis
9. Narragansett Brewing Company: Build a Brewery
10. Aluminum vs. Plastic: A Life-Cycle Perspective on the Use of These Materials in Laptop Computers
11. HealthCare’s Corporate Social Responsibility Program
12. Paperbackswap.com: Got Books?
13. Stranded in the Nyiri Desert: A Group Case Study
Part 4: Advanced Business Analytics
14. Joe’s Coin Shop: Entry into Online Auctions
15. Vehicle Routing at Otto’s Discount Brigade
The complete, up-to-date casebook for analytics in SCM, OM, and OR: concise, focused cases that make you the analyst and decision-maker.