Synopses & Reviews
This book provides concise coverage of the major Asian American groups from both an historical and socio-cultural perspective. Coverage of each major groupChinese, Japanese, Filipinos, Asian Indians, Koreans, Pacific Islanders, and newer Asian American groupsespecially those from Southeast Asia and South Asiaprovides readers with a balanced overview of all cultures within US Asian society. Content reflects developments of the late 1990s and includes updated demographic information. For research in sociology, history, and ethnic studies professions.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 205-208) and index.
Table of Contents
2. Immigration Laws and Their Effects.
3. The Chinese: The Early Years.
4. The Chinese: After 1943.
5. The Japanese: The Early Years.
6. The Japanese: After 1946.
7. The Filipinos.
8. South Asians: Asian Indians, Pakistanis, and Bangladeshis.
9. The Koreans.
10. The Pacific Islanders.
11. The Southeast Asians.
12. The Present Status of Asian Americans.
13. Adaptation of Asian Americans.
Appendix: Census Bureau Information on the Web.
Suggestions for Further Reading.