Synopses & Reviews
This new edition of Chemistry of Hazardous Materials
provides new material about hazardous materials in relation to a post-September 11th world for the emergency responder. It includes new information that introduces students to hazardous materials likely to be encountered in a terrorist event and how to effectively respond. The approach of this text will guide the non-scientist and inexperienced student through the process of understanding the chemical properties that make materials hazardous. This new edition continues the successful presentation of earlier editions by emphasizing the hazardous materials regulations established by OSHA, the .S. D.U.T., and the EPA. Features Include:
- Identification and chemical properties of materials that could be used in a terrorist attack
- Listing of the names of chemical substances under each formula and in every equation so students can more readily understand the relevant chemical change
- New Solved Exercises and Review Exercises
Table of Contents
2. Some Features of Matter and Energy.
3. Flammable Gases and Flammable Liquids.
4. Chemical Forms of Matter.
5. Principles of Chemical Reactions.
6. Aspects of the DOT Hazardous Materials Regulations.
7. Chemistry of Some Common Elements.
8. Chemistry of Some Corrosive Materials.
9. Chemistry of Some Water-Reactive Substances.
10. Chemistry of Some Toxic Substances.
11. Chemistry of Some Oxidizers.
12. Chemistry of Some Hazardous Organic Compounds.
13. Chemistry of Some Polymeric Materials.
14. Chemistry of Some Explosive Materials.
15. Radioactive Materials.
Hazardous Materials Index.