Synopses & Reviews
This book is a study of the multi-faceted aspects of the physical and human geography of Sub-Saharan Africa. An introductory book, it is designed for those readers with little or no knowledge of geography to a variety of contemporary ideas, theories, and concepts in African geography, and their applicability to “real world” situations. Using extensive maps, photographs, and illustrations, this book covers such topics as the physical-environmental, socio-cultural, and developmental aspects of Sub-Saharan Africa, as well as the region's prospects for global integration. For anyone interested in African geography and its socio-political climate.
Table of Contents
I. THE PHYSICAL-ENVIRONMENTAL CONTEXT. 2. The Physical Environment.
3. Human-Environmental Impacts: Forest Degradation and Desertification.
II. SOCIO-CULTURAL CONTEXT. 4. Historical Background of Sub-Saharan Africa: Opportunities and Constraints.
5. Political Landscape of Sub-Saharan Africa: From Instability to Democratization?
6. Culture, Conflict, and Change in Sub-Saharan Africa.
7. Population Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa.
III. DEVELOPMENT CONTEXT. 8. Geography and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa.
9. Transport and Communication in Sub-Saharan Africa: Digital Bridges Over Spatial Divides.
10. Urban Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa.
11. Geography, Gender, and Development in Africa.
12. Medical Geography of Africa.
13. Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa.
14. Privatization, Entrepreneurship, and Business Promotion for Development in Sub-Saharan Africa.
IV. GLOBAL CONTEXT. 15. Looking Ahead: Prospects for Africa in a New Global Economy.