Synopses & Reviews
Habits of Goodness uses case studies from six experienced teachers, grades K-6, as the basis for commentary from Charney about their efforts to create classrooms in which students are taught social skills and ethical behavior along with strong academic skills. Offers an approach to solving problems that can be used in any classroom and includes an appendix outlining the process of case study.
Case studies include:
- Ritual and Real: Developing Language in a Kindergarten Classroom
- Getting Underneath: Caring and Sharing Among Fives and Sixes
- Letting the Spill Grow: Conflict Resolution in First Grade
- Outer Structures/Inner Supports: Teaching Respect to Fourth and Fifth Graders
- How Are You Going to Unbore Yourself? Active Learning in the Fifth Grade
- Moving the Teacher's Desk: Democracy in a Fifth/Sixth Grade.