Synopses & Reviews
In their legendary book, Reengineering the Corporation , Jim Champy and Michael Hammer introduced businesspeople to the enormous power of a revolutionary methodology called reengineering. Using reengineering, businesses around the world have systematically retooled their processes--achieving dramatic cost savings, greater customer satisfaction, and more value.
Now, Jim Champy and Dr. Harry Greenspun show how to apply the proven reengineering methodology in health care: throughout physician practices, hospitals, and even entire health systems. You’ll meet innovative and visionary leaders who’ve been successfully reengineering organizations across the entire delivery spectrum and learn powerful lessons for improving quality, reducing costs, and expanding access.
This book doesn’t just demonstrate the immense potential of health care reengineering to revolutionize health care delivery: it offers a clear roadmap for realizing that potential in your own organization.
Deliver Better Care to More People, at Lower Cost
- How reengineering can lead to more efficient, safer delivery--and sharply reduced costs
- How to focus on prevention and wellness, as well as chronic disease and hospital care
- How to earn the trust, contributions, and passion of skeptical physicians and health care professionals
- How to harness technology to create more seamless, accessible, valued, and sustainable health care systems--and avoid technology’s pitfalls
- How Zeev Neuwirth transformed the Lenox Hill Hospital ER and the 700-doctor Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates practice
- How Tom Knight is revolutionizing patient safety at Methodist Hospital System, one of America’s largest private, nonprofit medical complexes
- How to start today in your own organization!
About the Author
Jim Champy is one of the leading thinkers in business. His first book, Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution, a New York Times Bestseller with more than 3 million copies sold, helped transform the corporate world. His global bestsellers also include X-Engineering the Corporation: Reinventing Your Business in the Digital Age; Reengineering Management; and The Arc of Ambition. Champy’s most recent books, OUTSMART! and INSPIRE!, examine the future of business in the digital age.
Champy is an advisor to multiple health care organizations on issues of strategy and operations. He continues to work in the corporate world and serves on the boards of several public and private institutions.
Harry Greenspun, M.D., is the Chief Medical Officer of Dell Inc. In 2010, Modern Healthcare magazine named him one of the “50 Most Powerful Physician Executives in Healthcare.” Prior to working for Dell, he served as Chief Medical Officer for Northrop Grumman Corporation, focusing on public health, life sciences, and military and veteran health issues.
A recognized expert in health policy, Dr. Greenspun has advised the Obama administration and Congress on health care reform. He serves on the World Economic Forum’s Global Health Advisory Board, and the boards of numerous universities, health care organizations, and publications.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Why Reengineer HealthCare? 15
Chapter 2 Meet Zeev Neuwirth, Reengineer 25
Chapter 3 Harness Technology 59
Chapter 4 Focus on Processes 97
Chapter 5 Remember People 141
Chapter 6 Meet Tom Knight, Reengineer 169
Chapter 7 The Hunt for Reengineering Opportunities 187