Synopses & Reviews
The new edition of this best-selling book has been completely revised, updated, and improved to reflect state-of-the-art concepts and practices in air conditioning and refrigeration. Special chapters focus on troubleshooting, and the book draws extensively from field-tested materials from industry sources, enabling readers to relate to real-life situations. Full-color photographs and graphics provide visual interest, and help to explain the material presented in the book. Service tips, tech tips, safety tips, notes, and cautions all make this the leading book on the market. Coverage includes: tools, meters, and measuring devices; HVAC-R practices; matter and thermodynamics; system components; refrigerant and lubricants; basic electrical (motors, diagrams, and system controls); residential systems (air conditioning, gas warm air heating, oil warm air heating, electric warm air heating, and heat pump systems); indoor air systems (air distribution, indoor air quality, and load calculation); commercial systems (packaged heating/cooling systems, commercial refrigeration, and central plant hydronic systems); unitary systems (appliances); and employment skills. An excellent and necessary reference resource for those involved in any facet of the refrigeration, air conditioning, heating, and ventilating fields.
Revised, updated, and pedagogically improved, this new edition of the classic in the field sets a new curriculum standard. Based on input from industry experts, the staff of the Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute, and many academic advisors, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, Fourth Edition,
reflects the state-of-the-art, as well as fundamental concepts, and practical applications.
Some of the key features of this edition are:
- The text and lab manual mirror the ARI national curriculum guidelines and I.C.E. certification test requirements.
- The text draws extensively upon field-tested materials from industry sources, relating concepts to real-world situations.
- Full color photos and graphics.
- Primarily written as a textbook, it is also organized to be used as a reference by technicians in the field.
- Chapters and units cover single areas, making it easier to teach and learn.
- Information has been gathered from technicians and industry leaders from various regions to more broadly represent the HVAC/R industry around the country.
- Troubleshooting tips are included to help resolve problems in a quick and accurate manner.
- Numerous sidebars highlight important technical tips, service tips, and safety tips.
Table of Contents
I. FUNDAMENTALS. 1. Introduction.
2. Tools, Meters and Measuring Devices.
3. HVAC-R Practices.
II. REFRIGERATION PRINCIPLES. 4. Principles of Matter and Thermodynamics.
5. Air Conditioning and Refrigeration System Components.
6. Refrigerant and Lubricants.
III. ELECTRICITY. 7. Basic Electrical.
9. Electrical Diagrams.
10. System Controls.
IV. RESIDENTIAL SYSTEMS. 11. Central Residential Air Conditioning.
12. Central Residential Gas Warm Air Heating.
13. Central Residential Oil Warm Air Heating.
14. Central Residential Electric Warm Air Heating.
15. Central Residential Heat Pump Systems.
V. INDOOR AIR SYSTEMS. 16. Air Distribution.
17. Indoor Air Quality.
18. Load Calculation.
VI. COMMERCIAL SYSTEMS. 19. Packaged Heating/Cooling Systems.
20. Commercial Refrigeration.
21. Central Plant Hydronic Systems.
VII. UNITARY SYSTEMS. 22. Appliances.
VIII. EMPLOYMENT SKILLS. 23. Job Skills.