||2012 Powell's Staff Top 5s
It’s hard to argue with the assertion that Saga is the best graphic series of the last decade — just look at the pile of awards it has amassed. The magic of this book is in the incredible alchemy that comes from the creative partnership of writer Brian K. Vaughan and illustrator Fiona Staples. Together, they take an eclectic blend of sci-fi and fantasy tropes mixed with piercingly authentic emotions and then combine them with incredible design and flawless plotting. The first volume of Saga is sure to get you hooked. Lucky for you, there’s many more volumes in this sprawling epic that still has yet to reach its conclusion. Recommended By Keith M., Powells.com
Saga is so good that I mark on my calendar when the next trade issue is coming out: I have a countdown. I love all of Brian K. Vaughan's writing, but I'd say Saga is his best. Paired with the stunning art of Fiona Staples, this is a must-read not only for graphic novel fans but for anyone who likes to read. Recommended By Junix S., Powells.com
If you’re looking for the next Space Odyssey, look no further. Brian K. Vaughan’s Saga series is as odd as you get, and a fantastic story of love and war between stars. Recommended By Misha S., Powells.com
Synopses & Reviews
• Winner of the 2013 Hugo award for Best Graphic Story!
• When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe. From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.
• This specially priced volume collects the first six issues of the smash-hit series The Onion A.V. Club calls the emotional epic Hollywood wishes it could make.
• Voted one of the top graphic novels of the year by the NYT, IGN, the Examiner, and SF Weekly. Voted Best Comic of the year by MTV Geek and Best New Series by Paradox Comics. Voted a finalist in the GoodReads Best GN of 2012 contest.
• Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013
“Vaughan's witty dialogue is laced with universal commonalities…that ground the alien nature of the characters and heighten the sense that the war between planet and moon and the hatred between enemies is tragically pointless.” Publisher’s Weekly
“This addictive adult read will be gobbled up by fans of cosmic sci-fi and fantasy dramas. Plenty of adult language plus frank sexual content take this out of the teen area.” Library Journal
“Vaughan, writer of the hugely successful Y: The Last Man….While Vaughan will be the star power that attracts readers, do-it-all artist Staples is going to be the one who really wows them.” Booklist (Starred Review)