Synopses & Reviews
In just 24 lessons of one hour or less, Sams Teach Yourself Swift in 24 Hours, Second Edition
helps you build next-generation OS X and iOS apps with Apple’s the Swift 2.x programming language.
This book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach helps you quickly master Swift’s core concepts, structure, and syntax and use Swift to write safe, powerful, modern code. In just a few hours you’ll be applying advanced features such as extensions, closures, protocols, and generics. Every lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success.
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common Swift development tasks.
Practical, hands-on examples show you how to apply what you learn.
Quizzes and exercises help you test your knowledge and stretch your skills.
Notes and tips point out shortcuts and solutions.
Learn how to...
- Set up your Swift development environment
- Master Swift’s fundamental data types and operators
- Make the most of arrays and dictionaries
- Control program flow, modify execution paths, and iterate code
- Perform complex actions with functions
- Work with higher-order functions and closures
- Harness the power of structs, enums, classes, and class inheritance
- Customize initializers of classes, structs, and enums
- Implement instance methods, type methods, and advanced type functionality
- Take full advantage of Swift’s advanced memory allocation
- Extend type functionality with protocols and extensions
- Leverage the power of generics, chaining, and other advanced features
- Interoperate with Objective-C code
- Interact with user interfaces
- Take advantage of Swift’s Standard Library features and functions
Table of Contents
Hour 1: Getting Started with Xcode 6
Hour 2: Learning Swift's Basic Data Types
Hour 3: Working with Arrays and Dictionaries
Hour 4: Controlling Program Flow with Conditionals and Loops
Hour 5: Using Functions and Closures
Hour 6: Learning Classes, Structs, and Enums
Hour 7: Adding Properties and Methods
Hour 8: Implementing Protocols and Extensions
Hour 9: Introducing Cocoa Touch
Hour 10: Writing your First iOS 8 App
Hour 11: Using Different Interface Elements
Hour 12: Discovering Table Views
Hour 13: Understanding View Navigation and Multiple View Controllers
Hour 14: Implementing Unified Storyboards for Universal Apps
Hour 15: Accessing Device Location Information
Hour 16: Introducing App Extensions
Hour 17: Using Touch ID Authentication
Hour 18: Implementing the Photos Framework and Camera Controls
Hour 19: Introducing the Health Kit Framework
Hour 20: Home Automation with Home Kit
Hour 21: Continuing Activities with HandOff
Hour 22: Opening Documents with Document Picker
Hour 23: Syncing with Cloud Kit
Hour 24: Debugging Apps with Xcode 6