Synopses & Reviews
A practical and evidence-based approach that focuses on family members and friends as positive, crucial instruments of change--you can help your loved one with addiction.
When you have a loved one who is addicted to alcohol or drugs, their addiction impacts the whole family--emotionally, financially, and physically. And with the widespread misuse of substances today, too many family members are experiencing its devastating effects. Research also shows that family involvement in helping a loved one with addiction is a powerful predictor of positive outcome. So, how can you help someone you love overcome addiction and create a better life?
From the authors of Beyond Addiction, this healing workbook offers practical, effective, and evidence-based skills for family members who want to understand what drives their loved one's addictive behavior, learn how to discuss it without conflict, and gain the tools and strategies necessary to cope and transform the situation and their lives. This comprehensive guide will empower you to be a crucial instrument of change.
Using the authors' Invitation to Change approach, you'll learn:
- What drives addiction, and how to address it without condemnation
- How to open lines of communication and discuss substance use without an argument
- How your behavior interacts with and changes the behavior of your loved one
- How your self-awareness and self-compassion are key to helping the person you care about
- How to reward positive change, set respectful limits, and discourage negative behavior
- How to find peace with your own complicated feelings, like sorrow and anger
- Concrete ways to help on a daily basis
You don't have to try a "tough love" approach, or wait for your loved one to hit rock bottom--two outdated strategies that often exacerbate the problem and can lead to unnecessary suffering. You can be a force for positive change on your loved one's journey to recovery. Let this workbook help your whole family move toward greater health and well-being--together.
A practical and compassionate approach for helping your loved one change.
If you have a loved one who is struggling with alcohol or other drugs, you may have feelings of frustration, anger, fear, or sadness. You may also feel powerless and unsure of how to help them, and how best to support them over time. You don't have to try a "tough love" approach or wait for your loved one to "hit rock bottom" before taking action. You can be a force for positive change in your loved one's life. This compassionate guide will show you how.
From the authors of Beyond Addiction, this healing and supportive workbook offers practical, evidence-based skills to help you address substance use or other compulsive behaviors with your loved one in a productive way--without creating conflict. You'll also gain a greater understanding for their struggle, and learn essential strategies for improving communication and coping with your own feelings. Whether your loved one seems reluctant to change, or is actively seeking support, this workbook will give you the tools needed to help them on their journey.
Using the authors' Invitation to Change approach, you'll discover:
- How to understand substance-using behaviors from a new perspective
- How to approach the problem without judgment
- How to open lines of communication How to set respectful limits
- How to live with pain and still stay connected
- How compassion is key to helping your loved one--and you