Synopses & Reviews
First published in 1983, John Miller'sGlorious Revolution established itself as the standard introduction to the subject. It examines the dramatic events themselves and demonstrates the profound impact the Revolution had on subsequent British history. The Second Edition contains a fuller discussion of Scotland and Ireland, the growth of a fiscal-military state and the role of religion and the Revolution.
'A first-rate and highly sophisticated interpretation. The book deserves a long and successful career'.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -136) and index.
Table of Contents
Part One: The Background
1. The Fall of James II.
Part Two: The Revolution Settlement
2. The Change of Ruler.
3. The Significance of the Change of Ruler.
4. The Constitutional Settlement. The Religious Settlement.
Part Three: The Post-Revolution Order
7. The Growth of the State.
8. The Financial Revolution.
9. Religion After Revolution.
10. The Constitution: Crown and Parliament.
11. The Law and Local Government.
12. Parties and the Working of Politics.
13. Scotland and Ireland.
Part Four: Documents.