Synopses & Reviews
This powerful collection of essays focuses on the representation of God in the Book of Ezekiel. With topics spanning across projections of God, through to the implications of these creations, the question of the divine presence in Ezekiel is explored.
Madhavi Nevader analyses Divine Sovereignty and its relation to creation, while Dexter E. Callender Jnr and Ellen van Wolde route their studies in the image of God, as generated by the character of Ezekiel. The assumption of the title is then inverted, as Stephen L. Cook writes on 'The God that the Temple Blueprint Creates', which is taken to its other extreme by Marvin A. Sweeney in his chapter on 'The Ezekiel that God Creates', and finds a nice reconciliation in Daniel I. Block's chapter, 'The God Ezekiel Wants Us to Meet.' Finally, two essays from Christian biblical scholar Nathan MacDonald and Jewish biblical scholar, Rimon Kasher, offer a reflection on the essays about Ezekiel and his God.
About the Author
Paul M. Joyce is Samuel Davidson Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Bible, King's College London, UK.
Dalit Rom-Shiloni is Senior Lecturer in Hebrew Bible, Tel Aviv University, Israel.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors
1. 'Introduction: Ezekiel and his God'Paul M. Joyce, King's College London, UK,
and Dalit Rom-Shiloni, Tel Aviv University, Israel
2. 'The God Ezekiel Envisions'Katheryn Pfisterer Darr, Boston University, USA
3. 'The God that Ezekiel Inherited'John T. Strong, Missouri State University, USA
4. 'Creating a Deus Non Creator
: Divine Sovereignty and Creation in Ezekiel' Madhavi Nevader, University of St Andrews, USA
5. 'The Recognition Formula and Ezekiel's Conception of God' Dexter E. Callender Jr., University of Miami, USA
6. 'Ezekiel's Picture of God in Ezekiel 1' Ellen van Wolde, Radboud University, Nijmegen, Netherlands
7. 'The God that Gog Creates: 'Drop the Stories and Feel the Feelings' Corrine Carvalho, University of Saint Thomas, Saint Paul, MN, USA
8. 'Ezekiel's God Incarnate! The God that the Temple Blueprint Creates ' Stephen L. Cook, Virginia Theological Seminary, USA
9. 'The Ezekiel that G-d Creates' Marvin A. Sweeney, Claremont Lincoln University, USA
10. 'The God Ezekiel Wants Us to Meet' Daniel I. Block, Wheaton College, USA
11. Response to the Essays Nathan MacDonald, Cambridge University, UK
12. Response to the Essays II
Rimon Kasher, Bar Ilan University, Israel