The Green and Blue rooms at Powell’s City of Books are open for limited hours! Please enter at Burnside and 10th. You will have access to the inventory housed in the two rooms of the store, including featured new arrivals, bestsellers, used books, small press, and gift items, along with our beloved literature section in full. You'll also find a condensed selection of books from areas of the store that are currently closed to customers.
The used book buying counter remains closed, but you can sell us your used books online.
Free store pickup is available at our Couch St. and 11th Ave. entrance.
Planning Your Visit
- Enter at Burnside and 10th. We will be limiting the number of customers in the store to ensure safe distancing, so there may be a waiting line to enter.
- Wear a face mask at all times while in the store. If you don't have a mask, we're happy to provide one for you!
- Maintain a distance of 6 feet between yourself, other patrons, and employees.
- Use hand sanitizer before browsing. You will find hand sanitizer stations at the entrance of the store and at each info desk and lookup station.
- If you would like to purchase specific titles, please use our store pickup service and order your items ahead of time through Powells.com.
- Please plan on paying with a debit or credit card. We cannot accept cash at this time.
Summary of COVID-19 Health and Safety Measures
• Limited occupancy: We will be monitoring the number of customers in the store at one time and have outdoor, socially distanced waiting line protocol in place to manage crowds.
• Face coverings are mandatory in the store, in compliance with Oregon policy. Free disposable masks are available to customers who arrive without one. For more information regarding accommodations for customers who are unable to wear a face covering due to a disability, please call 800-878-7323.
• Freestanding hand sanitizer stations are available at the entrance of the store, and at each info desk, lookup station, and cash register.
• Shopping baskets will be cleaned after each use.
• High-use areas like lookup stations, info desks, and cash registers are frequently disinfected.
• Plexiglass has been installed at all info desks and cash registers.
• Signs are posted throughout the store reminding staff and customers to wear face coverings and maintain at least 6 feet of distance between themselves and others, along with other safety messaging.
• The restrooms are currently closed to the public.
About Powell's City of Books
Powell’s City of Books is the largest used and new bookstore in the world, occupying an entire city block and housing approximately one million books. Located in downtown Portland’s Pearl District, the City of Books has nine color-coded rooms and over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles. Dozens of acclaimed writers, artists, and thinkers visit each month to read in the Basil Hallward Gallery (located upstairs in the Pearl Room), and a one-of-a-kind Rare Book Room draws bibliophiles from near and far to browse an impressive collection of autographed first editions and other collectible volumes.
Arriving by car:
There are several good parking options located near Powell’s City of Books.
Brewery Blocks Parking
8am – 7pm, Mon.-Sat.
1pm – 7pm, Sun.
Free other times
Entrances located on NW 13th Ave. and NW 12th Ave., between NW Couch and Davis
Mon-Fri Daily: $18 max
Weekends: $8 per day
Located at SW 10th Ave. and Yamhill
Hourly: $1.80/hour up to four hours
Daily: $14 max
Weekends: $5 max
Arriving by bike:
Bike racks are located on the north and east sides of the store.
Arriving by public transportation:
Visit trimet.org to plan your trip using the TriMet Trip Planner.
If taking the Red or Blue lines, the closest stop is located at SW 10th Ave.
If taking the Green, Yellow, or Orange lines, the closest stop is located at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland.
Via Portland Streetcar
The Portland Streetcar stops at NW 11th and NW 10th and Couch.
Via TriMet Bus
The #20 bus stops in front of the store at W Burnside and NW 10th Ave.
"The Happiest Place on Earth: An Afternoon at Powell's Books" (Book Riot)
"The Best Bookstores in the World" (Second-Half Travels)
"12 of the Biggest Bookshops in the World for When You Want to Lose Yourself in Literature" (Bustle)
"The Life and Tomes of Michael Powell" (University of Chicago Magazine)