Synopses & Reviews
The essential interaction design guide, fully revised and updated for the mobile age
About Face: The Essentials of Interaction Design, Fourth Edition
is the latest update to the book that shaped and evolved the landscape of interaction design. This comprehensive guide takes the worldwide shift to smartphones and tablets into account. New information includes discussions on mobile apps, touch interfaces, screen size considerations, and more. The new full-color interior and unique layout better illustrate modern design concepts.
The interaction design profession is blooming with the success of design-intensive companies, priming customers to expect "design" as a critical ingredient of marketplace success. Consumers have little tolerance for websites, apps, and devices that don't live up to their expectations, and the responding shift in business philosophy has become widespread. About Face is the book that brought interaction design out of the research labs and into the everyday lexicon, and the updated Fourth Edition continues to lead the way with ideas and methods relevant to today's design practitioners and developers.
Updated information includes:
- Contemporary interface, interaction, and product design methods
- Design for mobile platforms and consumer electronics
- State-of-the-art interface recommendations and up-to-date examples
- Updated Goal-Directed Design methodology
Designers and developers looking to remain relevant through the current shift in consumer technology habits will find About Face to be a comprehensive, essential resource.
The three editions of About Face
have shaped and evolved the landscape of interaction design, bringing it from the research labs into every day lexicon and development. The fourth edition of this groundbreaking book will be no less game changing.
The 4th edition of About Face is the most significant revision yet, with a new unique design and 4-color interior, dedicated web site, and classroom ancillaries. The revision takes into account the worldwide shift to smartphones and tablets on the consumer and enterprise level and how designing for these devices is not as easy as just downsizing a website.
The new edition includes:
- Dynamic 4-color interior
- Updates to reflect new thinking in interface, interaction and product design methods
- New content relevant to the popularization of mobile platforms and differing screen sizes
- Evolving design in platforms such as consumer electronics and other ubiquitous devices
- Updated examples to reflect current state-of-the-art interfaces and up to date case studies
- Updates to Cooper's immensely popular Goal-Directed Design methodology
- Full training and classroom materials for corporate trainings or university texts
- Dedicated website created by Cooper to complement the examples and instruction in the book