Includes bibliographical references (p. 216-219) and index.
About the Author
John Hardman formerely of the University of Edinburgh has written Louis XVI (Yale 1993) and French Politics (Longman 1995).
Table of Contents
Figure and Maps.
I: OPPOSITION. 1. The First Thirty Years.
2. Robespierre in the Constituent Assembly.
3. Out of Parliament, September 1791-September 1792.
4. The Nature of Power: The Institutions of the First Republic, 1792-1794.
5. Unfinished Business, 20 September 1792-2 June 1793.
II: GOVERNMENT. 6. From Robespierre's Entry to the CSP tothe Death of Danton, July 1793-April 1794.
7. The Formation of Robespierre's Faction, July 1793-April 1794.
8. The Daily Exercise of Power I: Robespierre and Payan.
9. The Daily Exercise of Power II: Robespierre, Herman and the Police Bureau.
10. Resistance, 22 Prairial/10 June-7Thermidor/25 July.
11. The Fall of Robespierre.