Synopses & Reviews
Basic Japanese Through Comics
is not intended as a textbook, but rather as an entertaining supplement to a more structured study of Japanese. The 24 "lessons" in this book are a compilation of the Basic Japanese column from Mangajin
magazine; they do not build on each other, so they can be read or studied in any order. Some of the other benefits of Basic Japanese Through Comics
• Uses lifelike situations from authentic Japanese manga, the famous "comics" read by millions of Japanese people of all ages, to explain linguistic and cultural points quickly and memorably.
• Language is natural and colloquial, not "textbook Japanese." Politeness levels are clearly indicated to avoid inappropriate use of slang or informal speech.
• Beginners will find the concepts and explanations easy to understand, while old pros can add to the depth and breadth of their knowledge of Japanese language and culture.
• Educates and entertains—the ideal supplement to learning Japanese from textbooks.
• Shows all the nuances of speech such as social context, body language, and situational factors; improves understanding not just of the language, but of the people who speak it.