Synopses & Reviews
What's the best way to add lessons on money management and building wealth to grade school math? By making it real—and making it fun! Fun With Finance: Math + Literacy = SuccesS≪/i> helps teachers bring the world of finance into the elementary school classroom in a way that engages and captivates students.
Fun With Finance focuses on a range of topics, from currency and the global economy, to business entities, savings, credit, real estate investments, the markets, budgeting, and goal planning. Each chapter offers grade-appropriate lessons, with a readers theatre script, glossary, cross-curricular activities, a list of Web sites—even a board game!—to make learning a genuinely successful enterprise. Lessons and activities are fully cross-referenced to curriculum standards to make sure they meet school requirements.
"This introduction to finance for students in Grades 4 through 6 uses scripts from Readers Theatre presentations to cover such basic concepts as money, investment, credit and planning for a financial future. Peterson is a stock investor, real estate agent and legal assistant, and she provides both the text and the illustrations for chapters that explain employment, building a business, budgets, stocks and bonds and real estate. Exercises in each chapter introduce students to such skills as getting through a job interview, comparing values of world currencies, managing a financial portfolio and improving credit scores." -
Reference & Research Book News
"Enhanced with numerous instructional games and activities, as well as resource lists, Fun with Finance is an especially appropriate and highly recommended supplement for traditional classroom and home schooling curriculums." -
Midwest Book Review - Library Bookwatch
• Applies successful concepts of readers theatre to an important area of math and social studies
• Helps teachers gain a better understanding of a subject they may not have focused on in their own training
• Matches lessons to curriculum standards to help educators meet accountability requirements
This volume in the readers theatre series offers innovative approaches that let teachers introduce basic concepts of finance and wealth-building into the elementary school classroom.
• One complete board game for each chapter, including play boards, cards, and money
• Includes reproducible tables for math-related activities and illustrated chapters explaining tables, pie charts, bar charts and line graphs
• Supplemental chapters on tables, charts, and graphs; tips for successful readers theatre, matching lessons to curriculum standards, and suggested reading
• Readers theatre script for every chapter