Synopses & Reviews
Canada resident and avid outdoorsman Andrew Hempstead gives you his unique perspective on British Columbia, from dining at the best of Vancouverand#8217;s 3,000 restaurants and cafand#233;s to skiing and snowboarding on the world-class slopes of Whistler/Blackcomb. Hempstead offers unique trip ideas that utilize the regionand#8217;s amazing outdoor options, such as Winter Fun and B.C. Road Trip. Packed with information on dining, transportation, and accommodations, Moon British Columbia has lots of options for a range of travel budgets. Complete with guidance on whale-watching near Telegraph Cove, hiking the Stanley Glacier Trail, and camping near Mount Robson, Moon British Columbia gives travelers the tools they need to create a more personal and memorable experience.
See Your World Your Way with Moon Travel Guides
British Columbia is filled with shining rivers, vibrant cities, and old-growth temperate rain forests. Experience everything this province has to offer with Moon British Columbia.
With Moon British Columbia's practical tips, myriad activities, and an insider's view on the best things to do and see, you can plan your trip your way.
- Strategic itineraries in an easy-to-navigate format, such as "The Best of British Columbia," "The Best of Vancouver & Victoria," "Okanagan Wine Tasting," "Top Ski Resorts," and "Family Fun"
- Curated advice from local Andrew Hempstead
- Full-color with vibrant, helpful photos
- Detailed maps and directions for exploring on your own
- Activities and ideas for every traveler: Try to spot bears, moose, and elk on a hike through the verdant wilderness, or go whale-watching on the Pacific. Learn about the First Nations tribes' colorful totem poles and sample indigenous foods. Kayak through icy fjords, ski Whistler's world-class slopes, or admire the colonial architecture of British Columbia's great cities
- In-depth coverage of Vancouver, Victoria and Vancouver Island, The Sunshine Coast, Sea to Sky Highway, Whistler, Gold Nugget Route, the Okanagan Valley, the Kootenays, the Canadian Rockies, Glacier National Park, Revelstoke, Kamloops, Mount Robson, Cariboo Country, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Haida Gwaii, Stewart-Cassar Highway, Alaska Highway, and The Yukon
- Current background information on the landscape, culture, history, and environment
- Essential insight for travelers on recreation, transportation, and accommodations, packaged in a book slim enough to fit in your backpack
Expanding your trip? Try Moon Vancouver & Canadian Rockies Road Trip. Craving more of Canada's incredible wilderness? Check out Moon Banff National Park.
About the Author
Biking around Stanley Park, enjoying boiled crab on a west coast camping trip, wine-tasting in the Okanagan Valley, spending an entire winter skiing the powder-filled bowls of Red Mountain Resort, honeymooning in the Cariboo region, and getting and#147;Hyderizedand#8221; at the Glacier Inn and#151; Andrew Hempstead
has done all of this and more. Heand#8217;s not out there because itand#8217;s part of compiling a guidebook, but because he loves British Columbia. These diverse experiences, coupled with a deep respect for nature and an interest in local history, have been essential in his creation of Moon British Columbia.
Andrew spends as much time as possible out on the road, and rather than having an itinerary laid out for him by local tourism offices, he travels incognito and experiences the many and varied delights of British Columbia the same way his readers do.
Since the early 1990s, Andrew has authored and updated more than 60 guidebooks, contributed to dozens of major magazines, supplied content for online clients, such as Expedia and KLM, and been employed as a corporate writer for Parks Canada. His photography has appeared in a wide variety of media ranging from international golf magazines to a Ripleyand#8217;s Believe it or Not! Museum. Andrew is an academy member of S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants; he has spoken on guidebook writing to a national audience; and he has contributed to a university-level travel writing textbook.
Andrew and his wife Dianne own Summerthought Publishing, a regional publisher of nonfiction books. He and his family live in Banff, Alberta. His website, westerncanadatravel.com, showcases his work and provides invaluable planning tips for travelers heading to Canada.