I am a huge pencil nerd, so when I heard about a store devoted to pencils opening up in New York City (CW Pencil Enterprise) many years ago, I immediately became a fan — and, ahem, frequent online customer. Now the folks behind that wonderful little jewel of a store have created this wonderful little jewel of a tribute to the pencil and I couldn’t be more excited! I haven’t seen the finished product yet, but I completely trust the CW Pencil folks and I’m 100% sure it’s going to be a great resource for artists and pencil enthusiasts alike. Recommended By Leah C., Powells.com
Synopses & Reviews
Pencils You Should Know traces the evolution of pencils over time and across the globe. From the humble, handcrafted pencil of the 19th century to the novelty writing implement of the 1990s, each object in this book tells a different story.
This book features a selection of 75 modern and vintage pencils curated by pencil powerhouse Caroline Weaver, owner of legendary New York pencil emporium CW Pencil Enterprise. Pencil fanatics will find old favorites here — the original Blackwing 602 puts in an appearance, of course — and make exciting new discoveries, too.
• The long, skinny book was designed to emulate a brand new box of pencils.
• Vintage pencils and accessories are photographed against vibrant, colorful backgrounds and accompanied by Weaver's insightful commentary.
• A pocket-sized love letter to one of the most important inventions in human history
This supremely charming little book celebrates the enduring magic of the pencil.
Trace the history of the pencil over time and across the globe, and discover everything you need to know about this simple yet ingenious invention.
• A great book for pencil collectors, admirers, historians, artists, writers — anyone who gets excited about the new Palomino Blackwing, a perfectly sharpened No. 2 Ticonderoga
• Fans of The Pencil by Henry Petroski, How to Sharpen Pencils by David Rees and John Hodgman, and The Pencil Perfect by Caroline Weaver will want this in their collection.
• The perfect gift for pencil devotees, analog and vintage ephemera lovers, designers, and fans of CW Pencil Enterprise
About the Author
Caroline Weaver is a lifelong pencil lover. Her New York City shop, CW Pencil Enterprise, is a haven for like-minded collectors and pencil worshippers.