Synopses & Reviews
Before purchasing, check with your instructor to ensure you select the correct ISBN
. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, and registrations are not transferable. To register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products, you may also need a Course ID
, which your instructor will provide.
Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
For courses in Introduction to Philosophy
This package includes MyPhilosophyLab®
Empower students to think critically about philosophy
The Philosopher's Way: Thinking Critically About Profound Ideas inspires students to think like philosophers, helping them to become more accomplished critical thinkers and to develop the analytical tools needed to think philosophically about important issues. The text is comprised of readings from major philosophical texts, which are accompanied by commentary from author John Chaffee to guide students in their understanding of the topics. Organized by questions central to the main branches of philosophy, The Philosopher’s Way examines the ideas of philosophers past and present.
Enhance learning with MyPhilosophyLab
MyPhilosophyLab for the Introduction to Philosophy course extends learning online to engage students and improve results. Media resources with assignments bring concepts to life, and offer students opportunities to practice applying what they’ve learned. Please note: this version of MyPhilosophyLab does not include an eText.
The Philosopher's Way: Thinking Critically About Profound Ideas, Fifth Edition is also available via REVEL™, an immersive learning experience designed for the way today's students read, think, and learn.
0133909506 / 9780133909500 The Philosopher's Way: Thinking Critically About Profound Ideas plus MyPhilosophyLab for Introduction to Philosophy — Access Card Package, 5/e
Package consists of:
• 0133867544 / 9780133867541 The Philosopher's Way: Thinking Critically About Profound Ideas, 5/e
• 0134103610 / 9780134103617 MyPhilosophyLab for Introduction to Philosophy Valuepack Access Card
About the Author
John Chaffee, Ph.D.
, is Professor of Philosophy at The City University of New York, where he has developed and directs a Philosophy and Critical Thinking program that annually involves 30 faculty and 4,500 students. He is a nationally recognized figure in the area of Critical Thinking, having authored leading textbooks like Thinking Critically
, as well as many professional articles. In developing programs to teach people to think more effectively in all academic subjects and areas of life, he has received grants from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Ford Foundation, the Annenberg Foundation, and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. He has been selected as New York Educator of the Year and received the Distinguished Faculty Award for Diversity in Teaching in Higher Education.
Table of Contents
1. What Is Philosophy? Thinking Philosophically About Life
2. What Is the Philosopher’s Way? Socrates and the Examined Life
3. Who Are You? Consciousness, Identity, and the Self
4. Are You Free? Freedom and Determinism
5. How Can We Know the Nature of Reality? Philosophical Foundations
6. What Is Real? What Is True? Further Explorations
7. Is There a Spiritual Reality? Exploring the Philosophy of Religion
8. Are There Moral Truths? Thinking About Ethics
9. What Are Right Actions? Constructing an Ethical Theory
10. What Is Social Justice? Creating a Just State