Chilled Zucchini Mint Soup
The bright green color is part of what makes this soup so appealing and refreshing. It must be eaten the day it is prepared, or the color will be lost.
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup diced onion
4 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves, plus sprigs of mint to garnish
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini and broth. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the zucchini is soft.
3. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Process the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add the chopped mint and salt; process just to mix.
4. Pour the soup into a large bowl; stir in the buttermilk. Chill the soup, covered, in the refrigerator for several hours.
5. Serve chilled, garnished with sprigs of mint.
Low Fat Zucchini Frittata
There's room in every diet for a vegetable-rich egg dish. Here most of the fat is eliminated, but not the flavor.
5 egg whites
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil cooking spray
1 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup diced mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced scallions, white and tender green parts
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated skim-milk mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 350ªF. Coat a 1-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat the whole egg and the egg whites until blended. Beat in the Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, black pepper, and salt to taste.
3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, scallions, and garlic. Saute until the mushrooms have given up their juice, 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat and pour in the eggs. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish.
5. Bake, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, until the eggs are set.
6. Sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
7. Slice the frittata into wedges or squares and serve hot.